Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Glitch.

When I was looking through the latest footage (from Days Two, Three, and Four), I noticed very subtle glitches in the image. Nothing you could see in the frame grabs I posted Friday, but visible when watching the stuff run at 24 frames per second. It was so subtle that I got Jimbo, Chuck, Hilleke, and Steve Ashlee to look at it to make sure I wasn't just seeing things, but they agreed there was a problem. Which meant there was either something wrong with the film to video transfer (maybe bad for the lab) or something wrong with the camera (definitely bad for Interplanetary).

I emailed a bit of sample footage to the lab, and colorist John tracked down the problem. Seems the lab transferred some archival footage earlier in the week, and the old film stock left a bit of residue on the transfer machine rollers -- just enough residue to put a bump in the road for our footage.

So the problem didn't end up being bad for anyone -- John cleaned the machine and said our negative was looking fine now, so he can re-transfer it whenever we need it.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Holy crap, that must have been a scare! Glad to hear it all worked out!

Joseph said...

Your very lucky to have Steve Ashlee on board helping out with things. The stuff that man can do with film is nothing short of genius.