Thursday, January 4, 2007

And it begins (again).

We started pre-production on a new feature film, Interplanetary, a few days ago -- December 29, 2006, to be exact. Actually, I guess the movie's been in pre-production for a couple of years, as I've been working on the screenplay off and on for a while now. But we started building sets on the 29th, and that makes the whole thing seem more official.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Some introductions are in order.

"We" includes my producer/wife, Stacey, and me, writer/director Chance Shirley. The two of us, along with our pal Chuck Hartsell, made a zombie film a couple of years ago called Hide and Creep. It got several good reviews, a medium-size DVD release, and played a few times on the Sci Fi channel. You can learn more about the flick at HideAndCreep.com.

Stacey and I financed Hide and Creep out of our own pockets (with some help from MasterCard). That movie finally brought in enough money to get us out of the hole, so we decided we'd let it ride and try another feature.

"We" also includes producer John White and art director Carl Ross. John and Carl have worked on several projects here in Birmingham, Alabama, but this is the first time they've really worked with me on anything, at least in any official capacity.

I'm excited to have John and Carl on board because they know what they're doing, and they work hard to get it done. On top of that, they're good guys to hang out with. Which is important, because I expect we'll be spending a lot of time together over the course of the next few months.

No comments: