Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"This Movie Ain't Gonna Shoot Itself (revisited)" part 001.

Part One: Salutation

Hello and welcome to the first installment of "This Movie Ain't Gonna Shoot Itself," a bi-weekly look at the nuts and bolts of independent filmmaking. To be clear, I'm not talking about $2 million budgeted, My-Big-Fat-Greek-Wedding-type independent movies or $20 budgeted, three-guys-and-a-camcorder-type independent movies. I'll be looking at the middle ground. Movies like El Mariachi and Clerks, which are tiny by Hollywood standards, but huge to the people actually making and paying for them.

Specifically, I'll be looking at Hide and Creep, a comedy/horror movie I'm in the process of shooting right now. I'll also try to give you as many details about the process as I can. Because I hate behind-the-scenes stuff where some guy says "so, we raised $2 million, then we lit the set and shot the first scene with a 25mm prime at f/2." Wait a minute. I'm as interested in lenses and f-stops as the next guy. But I'm really interested in exactly how one goes about raising $2 million dollars. Without holding somebody at gunpoint.

Read more...

3 comments:

Andrew Bellware said...

Excellent article!

You realize, of course, that you actually made a movie with that low a budget. "Clerks" and "El Mariachi" had post budgets which were in the hundreds-of-thousands of dollars.

Nick T said...

the sci-fi channel trimmed the best few minutes!! i mean, you actually got naked zombie strippers in your movie, and they cut it out. communists!!

except my exploding head. the censors left that in, of course ;)

it's nice to re-read your previous blog. thanks for posting!

nick

Chance Shirley said...

I was wondering if there was any value in re-posting these articles. Apparently, there is. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

And Andrew makes a good point about budgets. Of course, if Miramax had picked up Hide and Creep, then maybe we would have had hundreds of thousands of dollars for post!