Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Now playing.

I went into Southland Tales expecting a trainwreck. Many Tales reviews have been downright venomous. Ebert gave it one star, and Devin Faraci at CHUD.com called it the worst movie of the year.

So I was a little surprised (and maybe even disappointed) to find out the movie isn't that bad. I mean, it's a mess, but it's an interesting mess. The plot is sometimes indecipherable, and the attempts at humor are hit and miss. But Tales features several scenes I really like, enough to get me to give it another look when it comes out on DVD.

I'm Not There is great. And unorthodox, as it features six different actors portraying different aspects of Bob Dylan's personality.

About half of the flick is filmed in beautiful, grainy black and white, the music is great (no surprise there), and Cate Blanchett (portraying one of the Bobs) is even better than usual. Highly recommended.

Juno is occasionally too clever for its own good. But for the most part, it's a sweet, well-acted flick and an original entry in the pregnant-teenager-movie genre.

Owen Gleiberman's Southland Tales review

Roger Ebert's I'm Not There review

Ebert's Juno review

1 comment:

Brian Seitzman said...

Have you ever heard of a flick from 1972 called The Body Shop (AKA Doctor Gore)? If not, something tells me you'd love it as much as I did. I just wrote a review that explains more. Classic, classic bad movie that must be seen to be believed!